The Douglas'

The Douglas'
Explore and Learn

Monday, January 12, 2009

Bicycle Cronicles

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Casey and I had decided to re-arrange the computer room so that George would have more room to play when we were both up there.  The final result was great and we paused to check out something on the computer.  The whole time George had been playing quietly with the toys we had brought up.  Next thing we know we hear a thump.  Thump, thumpity, thump, thump and a crash.  George had fallen down the stairs! He’d been doing so well going up and down them I didn’t even think to shut the computer room door.   We rush down to his side and he is standing up, crying and reaching to be held.  By his side is his little red tricycle.  At first we thought he had tried to ride it down the stairs or perhaps past the stairs to try and get it to his bedroom, but later figured out he may have been trying to carry it downstairs.   I held him close until he wanted down.  He seemed to be alright.  As I put him down he was still crying.  I watched as he walked back to the stairway and lifted his bike to its wheels.  He then got on it and proceeded to scoot it into the dining room.  He’s still crying and when he gets it to the dining room he lifts his arms to be held again.  He cried a little while longer, perhaps his pride hurt more than anything else.

Soon he is over the ordeal and wants to go back up stairs.  He and I walk about 8 steps before he says, “Uh-Oh”, spins around and heads back down the stairs.  Confused I followed suit.  He goes back to the dining room and starts trying to lift and carry his bike.  Smiling I pick it up for him and he smiles in return as he heads back for the stairs.  We get all the way to the top and back into the computer room.  He reaches for the bike and I put it down for him as I turn back to make sure the door is securely latched.  He gets on his little red trike and just smiles.   

Sunday at our regular dinner at the in-laws I am playing with him and see the slightest bruising on his chin...his only injury from the fall.

No comments: